Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Updates

So...for that much overdue update:
I have been working at two law related jobs in an attempt to make up for grades that are decent, but nothing to brag about. I am also taking two summer classes and doing an internship. So, I have been very busy. Understanding Judaism by Rabbi Mordechai Katz recently arrived and is next on my list of books to read. I am studying the 39 Melochos with my friend on Shabbos because it's the only real time I have to learn. I am soon moving into the aruv, and I am excited. I am looking forward to being able to stay at my own place during Shabbos and, here, you have to live in the aruv for at least a year before you can complete the conversion process. I have decided to go without having a roommate for a while. I think having a Jewish roommate would be difficult for a few reasons. The first is that a religious Jewish roommate would probably hold to a higher standard than I know how, or want, to do right now. The second is that my family would probably not be so happy if I did that. I know that converting will be hard on my family, but I want to make it as easy as possible. Also, I feel that I am still so malleable that perhaps I will realize that Hashem doesn't care for me to convert, in which case, I don't want to feel pressure from having a Jewish roommate. Perhaps all of my worrying is baseless, but I feel much relieved by the idea that I can fumble around and risk only myself for a little while.
I have made new friends, and am excited by the diversity of people I have found. There is a wide range of religiosity and beliefs in the community, and it's amazing how friendly everyone manages to be despite the differences. Visitors come to the community and I have been told repeatedly that Atlanta is a very unique and wonderful place. I am grateful to be here during such a difficult time.

No comments: